The Lukianovsk Icon of the Nativity of the Mother of God –
Commemorated on September 8
Icon of the Nativity of the Mother of God – is from a church in honour of
the Nativity of the MostHoly Mother of God in the village of Ignat'ev. In 1594
it thrice appeared in the wilderness area of Pokovitino-Ramen'e, not far from
the village. The priest Grigorii, having consulted with his parishioners,
petitioned the blessing of Patriarch Job to transfer the church to the place of
the appearance of the icon. Together with the transferred church was also
resettled the priest.
During the time of a Polish-Lithuanian invasion the church was looted. In the year 1640 the Monk Lukian arrived in Ramen'e from an Uglich monastery and found in the neglected church two icons which remained unharmed: the temple-icon of the Nativity of the MostHoly Mother of God, and an Altar-icon – the Smolensk Mother of God. A new church was built in honour of the appearance of the two wonderworking icons, at the Lukianovsk monastery.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.