The Monk Ilarion of Pskovoezersk, Gdovsk:
Commemorated on October 21, March 28
The Monk Ilarion
of Gdovsk and Pskovoezersk ("Pskov-Lake"), was a disciple of the
Monk Evphrosyn of Pskov (Comm. 15 May). In 1460 on the banks of the River
Zhelcha, not far from Gdov, he founded the Ozersk (Lake) Pokrov (Protection of
the Mother of God) monastery. The monastery was situated on the boundary with
the Livonian Knights order, and the monks constantly suffered the incursions of
the military order. Despite the harsh conditions and insufficiency of means,
the Monk Ilarion maintained an high degree of reverence at the monastery, and
made great efforts to adorn and build up the monastery.
The Monk Ilarion reposed on 28 March 1476 and was buried at the north doors of the iconostas in the church of the Protection of the MostHoly Mother of God, in the monastery founded by him. Afterwards at the monastery was built a temple in honour of the Nativity of Christ, the left chapel of which was dedicated in the name of the founder of the Gdovsk monastery. The commemoration of the Monk Ilarion of Gdov is made also on 28 March.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.