The Grebnevsk Icon of the Mother of God
Commemorated on July 28
The Grebnevsk Icon
of the Mother of God, glorified by miracles and situated in a church in the
city of Grebna (on the River Chira, flowing into the Don), was presented by the
inhabitants of the city to GreatPrince Dimitrii Donskoi upon his return from
the Kulikovo Battle in 1380.
In the XV Century, after a successful campaign against Novgorod, GreatPrince Ivan Vasilevich in a vow built the church of the Uspenie in Moscow at Lubyanka and placed in it the Grebnevsk image of the Mother of God, which he had taken with him on the campaign. When the church burned in 1687, the icon miraculously was preserved.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.