Commemorated on October 12
Jerusalem Icon of the Mother of God, by tradition, was written by the holy
Evangelist Luke in the 15th year after the Ascension of the Lord at Gethsemane
the year 463 the image was transferred to Constantinople. By the intercession
of the Jerusalem Icon of the MostHoly Mother of god the Byzantine army repulsed
an invasion of the Skyths. In 988 the icon was transferred to Korsun and given
to the holy Equal-to-the-Apostles prince Vladimir. When the people of Novgorod
accepted Christianity, Saint Vladimir then sent them this image. Ivan the
Terrible in 1571 transferred the icon to the Moscow Uspenie (Dormition)
cathedral. During the time of the Napoleonic invasion of 1812 the original
vanished and was replaced by an accurate copy.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.