Commemorated on March 31, September 23
(Innokentii) (Veniaminov), Metropolitan of Moscow and Kolomensk (26 August
1797 - 31 March 1879), was glorified in canonisation by the Russian Orthodox
Church on 6 October 1977. He was born in the village of Anginsk in the Irkutsk
diocese. The Apostle of America and Siberia bespoke his good-news "even to
the ends of the earth": in the Aleutian islands (from 1823), in the six
dialects of the local tribes on the island of Sitka (from 1834), amongst the
Kolosh (Tlingit); in the remotest settlements of the extensive Kamchatka
diocese (from 1853); amidst the Koryak, Chukchei, Tungus in the Yakutsk region
(from 1853) and North America (in 1857); in the Amur and the Usuriisk region
Having spent a large
part of his life in journeys, Saint Innocent translated into the Aleutian
language a Catechism and the Gospel, and in 1833 he wrote in this language one
of the finest works of Orthodox missionary activity – "A Directive of the
Way to the Kingdom of Heaven". In 1859 the Yakut first heard the Word of
God and Divine-services in their own native language. Twice (in 1860 and 1861)
Sainted Innocent met with the Apostle to Japan – Sainted Nikolai (Comm. 3
February), sharing with him his spiritual experience.
preacher, Sainted Innocent said: "Exactly that, whosoever aboundeth in
faith and love, can have mouth and wisdom, and the heart cannot resist their
apostolic work as a parish priest, Saint Innocent closed with it upon the
cathedra of Moscow First-Hierarchs (5 January 1868 - 31 March 1879). He was
devoted to the Will of God during all the course of his life, and he left
behind a testimonial of faith to his successors decreed in the words of the
prophet: "From the Lord are the footsteps of man directed" (Ps. 36:
23). The memory of Saint Innocent is celebrated twice during the year: on 23
September (6 October) and on 31 March (13 April).
Innocent – in the "Journal of the Moscow Patriarchate": 1949, # 7,
p. 36-44; 1955, # 1; 1975, # 3, p. 58-65; 1977, # 12, p. 3, 58-65; 1979, # 3,
4, 5, 6.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.