The Monk Irodion of Iloezersk and Novgorod

Commemorated on September 28

      The Monk Irodion of Iloezersk and Novgorod, was a disciple of the Monk Kornilii of Komel'sk (+ 19 May 1537). After the death of his preceptor, he settled at Iloezersk 20 kilometers from Belozersk, and there on a peninsula he built himself a cell and established a church in honour of the Nativity of the MostHoly Mother of God, marking the beginning of the Iloezersk Ozadsk monastery. The monk was strict at fasting, he spent the nights at prayer and every Saturday he communed the Holy Mysteries. An Angel announced to the monk about the proximity of his end. He died a schema-monk on 28 September 1541 and was buried in the chapel built by him.
      The first icon of the Monk Irodion was written after his appearance to a certain Sophonii. Sophonii, impiously having thrust his staff in at the grave of the monk, was struck blind, but by prayer to the saint he received back his sight.
      A Short Life of the Monk Irodion was written by the archimandrite Mitrophan of Belozersk monastery, who in 1653, with the blessing of the Novgorod metropolitan (afterwards patriarch) Nikon, witnessed to a miracle worked from the relics of the Monk Irodion. There was then established a celebration to his memory. At the place of the chapel of the Monk Irodion was erected a church in honour of the Nativity of the MostHoly Mother of God together with a chapel in the name of the Monk Irodion of Iloezersk.

1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.

Close window

                            

Close window