The Kaplunovsk Icon of the Mother of God
Commemorated on September 11 and July 8
The Kaplunovsk Icon of the Mother of God, after its wondrous appearance in a dream to the priest Ioann, on 11 September 1689 had been purchased by him from a Moscow iconographer, who was passing through the village of Kaplunovka. One time, on the Third Sunday of Great Lent, the icon shone with an extraordinary light, and was then transferred into the local Kaplunovsk church. The depiction on this icon resembles the image of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God. The wonderworking Kaplunovsk Icon of the Mother of God was on the field of battle at Poltava in 1709. More than once did Russian armies turn with prayer to the wonderworking image. The celebration of the Mother of God in honour of the Kaplunovsk Icon was established in the year 1766.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.