The Isaakovsk Icon of the Nativity of the MostHoly Mother of God

Commemorated on September 8

      The Isaakovsk Icon of the Nativity of the MostHoly Mother of God appeared in the year 1659 not far from the village of Isaakievo. The peasants wanted to take the icon to their own village, but they were not able. They then turned to the priest, and he having vested, and in the company of choir and people with church banners, set off to the place of appearance of the image of the Mother of God. Located in the branches of a willow tree, there radiated from the icon an extraordinary light like unto the sun. After the singing of a molieben the priest reverently took the icon with the tree wood and carried it to the Isaakievo village into the parish church. On the following day the icon was not in the church. It was at the place where it was first found. At this place of the appearance of the wonderworking icon they built a chapel, around which gradually formed a skete-monastery. With the blessing of Sainted Jona, Metropolitan of Yaroslavl' and Rostov, at the place of the chapel there was built in 1662 a wooden church in honour of the Nativity of the MostHoly Mother of God. In the year 1758 a stone church was built in place of the wooden, into which they transferred this image.

1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.

Close window

                            

Close window