The Monk Athanasii (Afanasii), nicknamed "the Iron Staff", and the Monk Theodosii (Feodosii) of Cherepovetsk

Commemorated on November 26

      The Monk Athanasii (Afanasii), nicknamed "the Iron Staff", and the Monk Theodosii (Feodosii) of Cherepovetsk were disciples of the Monk Sergei of Radonezh. They settled in the Novgorod extremities at the Cherepovetsk border, where the Rivulet Yagorba flows into the River Sheksna, and here they asceticised at monastic works. They built there a church in the Name of the MostHoly Trinity and founded the Cherepovetsk Resurrection monastery. The saints died in about the year 1388 and were buried in the cathedral church of the monastery. Their memory is celebrated likewise on 25 September.

1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.

Close window

                            

Close window