The Icon of the Mother of God "Imperial" ("Tsesarkaya") Borovsk

Commemorated on May 29

      The Icon of the Mother of God "Imperial" ("Tsesarkaya") Borovsk is known of from the XII Century. At first the wonderworking image appeared in the locality of Usvyat, Vitebsk district. The icon was found nearby a cemetery church, located in the vicinity of Bor, from whence it received the name Borovsk. The Imperial-Tsesarsk is called such because it was a copy from the ancient wonderworking Imperial Icon, glorified in the year 792 (Comm. 9 April).
      From the cemetery church the icon was transferred to the Saviour-Transfiguration church at Usvyat. About the miraculous signs and healings from the image of the Mother of God, numerous accounts are preserved. In 1859 at Usvyat and its surroundings there raged a cholera epidemic, taking away many lives. With deep faith the inhabitants turned for help to the image of the Heavenly Queen, and the sickness ceased.
      In that same year of 1859 the MostHoly Synod established the celebration of the Tsesarsk-Borovsk Icon of the Mother of God under 29 May.

1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.

Close window

                            

Close window