The Liubech Icon of the Mother of God

Commemorated on May 7

      The Liubech Icon of the Mother of God received its name from the city of Liubech, on the Chernigov outskirts. The icon manifest itself during the XI Century. The miracles occurring from this icon were described by Sainted Dimitrii of Rostov. In 1653, when an onslaught of the Poles against Liubech was immanent, they sent off the icon to Kiev. In 1701 after the restoral they returned the icon to the Liubech church in honour of the Resurrection of Christ, and in the Kiev Sophia cathedral was left an exact copy.

1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.

Close window

The Liubech Icon
of the Mother of God

Close window