The Icon of the Mother of God of Tsarevokokshaisk, or the "Mironositsk" ("Myrh-Bearing")
Commemorated on May 1
The Icon of the Mother of God of Tsarevokokshaisk, or the "Mironositsk" ("Myrh-Bearing"), appeared to the peasant Andrei Ivanov on 1 May 1647 near the locale of Bol'shaya Kuznetsa, 15 versts distant from the city of Tsarevokokshaisk in the Kazan region. Working in the field, Andrei noticed an icon lying on the ground and wanted to pick it up, but the icon became invisible. The astonished peasant, looking around, noticed that the icon then stood upon a tree, supported by an unseen force. He made prayers and took the icon home, where it was glorified by miracles. Pilgrims thronged to it from all the surrounding villages. They carried the image to the city of Tsarevokokshaisk, and later to Moscow, and after the passing of a certain while, they returned back with it. At the place of its appearance was built a monastery. The title of "Myrh-Bearing" for the icon is received from this – that the Mother of God is imaged with the Myrh-Bearing Women.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.