The Sedmiezerna (Smolensk) Icon of the Mother of God:
Commemorated on June 26, October 13 and July 28
The Sedmiezersk Icon of the Mother of God was brought on 13 October 1615 from Ustiug near Kazan by the Monk Evphymii, founder of the Sedmiezersk Mother of God monastery. He blessed the place of the future monastery with this icon. Feastdays of the Sedmiezersk Icon were established in memory of its transfer from Ustiug, in memory of the deliverance of Kazan from a plague epidemic in 1654 and 1655, and again from pestilence in 1771 (26 June and 28 July).
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.