The Zaonikievsk Icon of the Mother of God
Commemorated on June 23
The Zaonikievsk Icon of the Mother of God was found in the year 1588 by the Vologda peasant Ilarion – the future Monk Joseph of Zaonikievsk. After long prayers for the restoration of his lost health, there appeared to Ilarion the Unmercenaries Cosmas and Damian, and they promised him healing. Having gone to the place bidden to him by the saints, Ilarion suddenly saw amidst an extraordinary light an icon of the Mother of God. Bowing down before it, he was healed, then accepted monasticism with the name Joseph and founded on this spot the Zaonikievsk monastery. The icon was glorified by numerous healings.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.