Holy Nobleborn Prince Gleb of Vladimir

Commemorated on June 20

      Holy Nobleborn Prince Gleb of Vladimir, named Georgii in holy Baptism, was a younger son of nobleborn prince Saint Andrei Bogoliubsky (Comm. 4 July). Under the influence of his pious parents he grew up deeply believing and from twelve years of age he led a solitary spiritual life. The parents did not hinder their son and even assisted him in spiritual growth. The prince especially loved the reading of holy books, he esteemed the clergy and he was charitable to all. Despite his young age, he chose for himself the exploit of strict fasting and prayerful vigilance. Nobleborn prince Gleb died in the year 1174, at age nineteen.
      His undecayed relics were preserved and glorified by miracles. In the year 1238, during the time of the incursion of Batu upon the Russian Land, the Tatars burned the cathedral at Vladimir. In this conflagration perished Bishop Mitrophan, Great-princess Agathia spouse of Great-prince Georgii Vsevolodovich (+ 1238), and many an inhabitant of the city of Vladimir, locked in the cathedral church. The fire however did not even touch the tomb of Saint Gleb. Years later in July 1410, Tatars again descended upon Vladimir. In their plundering of the city, they began to sack the cathedral church treasury, having murdered the door-keeper Patrikii. And supposing that within the saint's tomb was hidden away treasure, they set about to break it open. But just as the Tatars touched the stone crypt of Saint Gleb, flames shot forth from it, and the Tatars in terror quit the city.
      Through the prayers of the holy prince the city was saved from an incursion of Polish-Lithuanian plunderers in 1613.
      The celebration of Saint Gleb was established in the year 1702, and then also a service was written to him, and somewhat later a vita (life). His relics rest in the Uspensky cathedral in Vladimir. In the year 1774 the south chapel of the cathedral was dedicated in honour of his name. Nobleborn prince Gleb is revered as an especial patron and defender of the city of Vladimir.

1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.

Close window

                            

Close window