The Icon of the Mother of God of Bogoliubsk-Moscow
Commemorated on June 18
The Icon of the
Mother of God of Bogoliubsk-Moscow was written in the year 1157 and in
earlier times was situated in Moscow at the Solyana Square, over the Varvarsk
Gates of the Chinese Quarter. The wonderworking image was glorified by healings
during the time of a fierce plague in 1771. From this time the icon became
especially venerated by believers, and a molieben was done yearly before the
wonderworking image on 18 June. On the vigil of the feast for three days the
icon was taken down from the wall and transferred to a special pavilion,
whither thronged numerous people for prayerful veneration of the image of the
Mother of God. After the course of three days the icon was again put up over
the gates, where it remained until the following year on18 June.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.