The Wonderworking Icon of the Mother of God, named the Yugsk

Commemorated on June 3, July 28

      The Wonderworking Icon of the Mother of God, named the Yugsk, appeared at the beginning of the XVII Century to the starets schema-monk of the Pskovo-Pechersk monastery Saint Dorophei. The Mother of God, during a time of invasion of the Swedes, commanded him to take Her image to a place decreed by Her, and to transport the image into the environs of the Yaroslavsk diocese and there to start a monastery. The hegumen of the monastery was not agreeable to let go the Icon of the Mother of God that had appeared, but She appeared to him in a dream-vision commanding to fulfill Her will and let go the starets Dorophei with Her icon. The starets Dorophei, having come to the place told him in the vision, stopped to rest and put the holy icon upon a tree. When he wanted to continue the journey, then by some certain power he was unable to take the holy icon from the tree. Starets Dorophei realised, that the Queen of Heaven wanted to remain in this place. He then built a small hut and stayed to live by this sacred icon. News about the arrival of the elder quickly spread through the surrounding villages. Pilgrims started to throng to him for veneration of the holy icon, from which were done healings. Means were gathered by the pious local inhabitants and the beginning of construction of a new monastery was put in place.
      The Monk Dorophei died in the year 1622. Clergy presented facts about the working of miracles to Patriarch Philaret. In reply they received the blessing for the founding at the River Yuga of a monastery with church in honour of the Uspenie of the MostHoly Mother of God. The monastery became named the Yugsk. In 1654 by the intercession of the Mother of God a deadly pestilence was halted in these localities.

1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.

Close window

                            

Close window