The Chirsk (Pskovsk) Icon of the Mother of God
Commemorated on July 16
(Pskovsk) Icon of the Mother of God was initially situated in the Chirsk
village church of Pskov diocese, from whence its name "Chirsk". On 16
July 1420, during the time of Great-prince Vasilii Dimitrievich, the archbishop
of Novgorod and Pskov Simeon and the Pskov prince Feodor Aleksandrovich were
present in Pskov during a time of a deadly pestilence: tears trickled down from
the eyes of the Chirsk Icon of the Mother of God. This was reported to
authorities in the city of Pskov. Clergy-servers transported the wonderworking
icon to Pskov. A church procession was made in meeting the icon. They placed
the icon in the cathedral church of the Holy Trinity.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.