The Sign from the Annunciation Icon of the Mother of God in the City of Ustiug:

Commemorated on July 8

      The Sign from the Annunciation Icon of the Mother of God in the City of Ustiug: The "Ustiuzhsk Annunciation" is a venerable icon, before which on 25 June 1290 with intense fervour prayed Saint Prokopii, Fool-for-Christ (+ 1303), for the salvation of the city of Ustiug from the wrath of God.
      The icon was written by a Novgorod iconographer during the years, when in the city ruled holy nobleborn Prince Vsevolod-Gavriil (Gabriel, + 1138, Comm. 11 February). In 1567, under holy Metropolitan Philip (Comm. 9 January), the holy icon was transferred from Great Ustiug to Moscow and placed in the Uspensky cathedral. At the present time it is located in the state Tret'yakov gallery.

1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.

Close window

                            

Close window