The Monk Vassian of Uglich

Commemorated on February 12

      The Monk Vassian of Uglich was a disciple of the Monk Paisii of Uglich (+ 6 June 1504, Vide account about him under 6 June). He was born in the village of Rozhalov, situated in the Kesovsk district of the city of Bezhetsk Verkha. He was descended from the Shestikhin line of princes (their ancestor was the prince Saint Theodore (Feodor) of Smolensk, + 1299; the account about him is under 19 September).The Monk Vassian came to the Pokrov monastery when he was 33 years of age, and was soon tonsured by the Monk Paisii. He made his obediences without complaint and lived in great abstinence. In 1482 the Monk Vassian discovered the Pokrov Icon of the MostHoly Mother of God. Having spent 20 years at the monastery of the Monk Paisii, the Monk Vassian then asked blessing for the life of silence. His teacher gave him blessing, saying: "Go my child, guided by Christ with the blest yoke of the Lord as it pleaseth the Lord. Soon thou thyself shalt form thine own monastery and gather a monastic flock to the glory of the Name of the MostHoly Trinity".
      In 1492 the Monk Vassian left the monastery and, having spent a certain while at the Nikolo-Uleimsk monastery, he went on to a remote place 30 versts to the south of Uglich and began to asceticise as an hermit. But soon people learned of his solitary habitation and began to come for advice and guidance. On a gift of land the monk established in 1492 a wooden church in the Name of the MostHoly Trinity, and soon there gathered those wishing monastic tonsure. The Monk Vassian did not cease his relationship with his teacher until the latter's end, at which he was present together with other disciples. Having dwelt for 17 years at the Trinity monastery, the Monk Vassian died on 12 February 1509. Three years later a certain fellow named Gerasim received at his grave healing from unclean spirits, and another fellow named Valerian healing from palsy. In 1548 the Monk Vassian was glorified at the uncovering of his incorrupt relics, over which was built a stone crypt. The memory of the Monk Vassian is made twice yearly: on the day of his repose, 12 February, and on 6 June in conjunction with his spiritual teacher the Monk Paisii of Uglich.

1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.

Close window

                            

Close window