The Monk Nikiphor of Vazheozersk

Commemorated on February 9

      The Monk Nikiphor of Vazheozersk came to the monk Alexander of Svir' (Comm. 17 April) in the year 1510 and was warmly received by him. In 1518 he made a visit, with the blessing of his mentor, to Kirill of Novoezersk (Comm. 4 February). When Nikiphor approached New-Lake (ie. Novo-ezero), he was fatigued by his long journey and laid down in the darkness and fell asleep. Saint Kirill through his perspicacity hastened by boat to row across the lake and awoke him. The monk Nikiphor spent eight days in spiritual conversation with the saint. Nikiphor then journeyed to Kiev to venerate the relics of the Pechersk saints.
      Upon his return, and with the blessing of the monk Alexander, he settled at Vazheozersk, there where the monk Gennadii pursued asceticism. Saint Nikiphor raised up the Church of the Transfiguration and a monastery there, in which he established community life, and pursued asceticism until his own death.
      In the second half of the XIX Century in the Zadne-Nikiforovsk wilderness was built a church in the name of the monks Nikiphor and Gennadii of Vazheozersk. The relics of the saints were put to rest under a concealed place in the monastery established by them.

1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.

Close window

                            

Close window