The Svensk-Pechersk Icon of the Mother of God

Commemorated on August 17

      The Svensk-Pechersk Icon of the Mother of God has two festal celebrations: on 3 May on the day of death of the Monk Feodosii of Pechersk (Vide concerning him under that day), and on 17 August on the day of the death of the Monk Alypii of Pechersk, who wrote the icon. The 17 August day of celebration was established in the year 1815 in thanksgiving for the deliverance of the city of Bryansk (around which the icon appeared in 1288) from its invasion during the 1812 Napoleonic War.

1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.

Close window

The
Svensk-Pechersk Icon of the Mother of God

Close window