The Belynich Icon of the Mother of God
Commemorated on April 12
The Belynich Icon
of the Mother of God initially was situated in one of the Orthodox churches
of the Mogilevsk district. After the emergence of the Unia (1596) the icon
passed over to the Catholics and was set up in a church of the Belynich
Catholic monastery, founded in 1622-1624 by the hetman of Great Lithuania, Lev
Sapega, on the banks of the River Druta, 45 versts from Mogilev. The icon was
venerated both by Catholics and by Orthodox. In 1832 the monastery was dissolved,
and the Catholic church became a parish church.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.