The Monk Evphymii of Suzdal'
Commemorated on April 1
The Monk Evphymii
of Suzdal' was born in the year 1316 at Nizhnii Novgorod. From early
childhood he was taught his letters and received a spiritual upbringing. He
accepted monastic tonsure at the Nizhegorod Pechersk monastery under its
founder, Saint Dionysii (later the Archbishop of Suzdal', + 1385, Comm. 26
June and 15 October). The efforts of the Monk Evphymii were so great, that
Saint Dionysii counselled him to lessen them. In 1352 the Suzdal' prince Boris
Konstantinovich sought to establish in his city a men's monastery, and he
turned to the Nizhegorod Pechersk monastery with a request to send a monk for
the establishing of the monastery. The choice of the saintly hegumen fell upon
the Monk Evphymii. After the arrival of the Monk Evphymii, – in the northern
part of the city, beyond the Kamenka River, the Suzdal' Sainted-hierarch John
(Comm. 15 October) – in front of a tremendous throng of the people erected a
cross on the spot of the future monastery cathedral. The prince himself began
to dig the ground for the foundation, and the Monk Evphymii shaped for himself
three grave stones, giving a vow to remain in the new monastery until the very
end of his life. Thus was laid the foundation of the Saviour-Transfiguration
Evphymiev monastery, where soon under the guidance of the monk gathered more than
three hundred monks. At the monastery was adopted the common-life ustav (rule).
In particular the monk insisted, that each of the monks be prepared to fulfill
whatever the obedience. The Monk Evphymii went often to the Trinity-Sergiev
monastery to the Monk Sergei of Radonezh (+ 1392, Comm. 25 September and 5
July). Saint Evphymii was a strict ascetic and a great man of prayer. He toiled
incessantly for the benefit of all the brethren. The Monk Evphymii died in the
year 1404, on 1 April.
© 1996-2001 by translator Fr. S. Janos.